Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Pay attention!

Long time no post here. I simply got bored with my own thoughts...

Just got back from 2.5 weeks in the High Sierras with a hiking buddy. The plan was to thru hike the JMT but, as with most plans, that didn't turn out to be the outcome. It is a long story but in keeping with my not wanting to bore myself or others, I won't recount it here.

I did have one or two interesting things happen. Number one photo is of my tent surrounded by trees in Tully Hole. This photo was taken during a trip in 2009.
Unseen in this image is a tree with the trunk split into two main branches. Later, after I pitched the tent and was going about my business, I started hearing creaking sounds from the joint of that tree, kind of like something was going to crack open and ...? I kept thinking about this and wondering if part of that tree was going to fall on me in the night so I finally moved my tent to a decidedly uncomfortable spot, far, far away. I always wondered if I was being silly that night and if that tree was really dangerous. See the photos from one week ago.

Guess what? The tree fell right about where my tent had been. Now I know it didn't fall the night I was there, or probably the next night either but dang, during the last two years it did fall and right where my tent would have been. So I feel vindicated and will remember to pay attention in life and if something doesn't feel right, it probably isn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment